It's kind of weird to me that things can have changed so much since the last time I was pregnant--which wasn't all that long ago--but looking back to my pregnancy with Gracie five years ago... Holy guacamole! (Guacamole sounds good. Mmm.)
Technology
Well. When I was preggers with Grace it wasn't yet the hot thing to blog about your pregnancy, or to blog from labor. We had to set up our phones so we could text in pics and such from the hospital. With Charlie I took the laptop along to the hospital and blogged between the post-epidural nap and the actual delivery. We took pictures to upload later. This time I will probably just pack the iPad and call it a day.
There was no Netflix instant when Grace was in utero, but there was with Charlie (we watched Psych while waiting to deliver him). That was a nice improvement to Cosby show reruns. Though to be honest, I enjoyed those, too. But not so much the Little House on the Prairie that came on afterward.
And of course there are tons of baby apps now. In my day, we picked up a book to learn about baby at twelve weeks. I literally have three baby calendar apps on my iPad. They all indicate different fruit sizes. This is the age of information, people. (Wait, was the nineties the Information Age? How old am I?)
And Pinterest. Pinterest! So now maybe I can dress like a human instead of like a blob. At least for the second trimester. And I can find lots of things to make, and nursery ideas, and all sorts of things I probably don't need but will enjoy. :)
Trends
I don't know what was trendy when I was pregnant with Grace. I was the first of my friends to have a baby, so I wasn't really in the know. And, as I mentioned, there wasn't Pinterest yet. ;)
Now "Gender Reveal" parties are the new hip thing. You invite everyone over and slice a cake/open a box of balloons and the color reveals if baby is a boy or a girl! These can be pretty cute--and kind of a fun way to make it a surpris without waiting until the birth--but could I wait LONGER than I had to to find out baby's gender? Probably not.
It is also super trendy to look cute while you're pregnant! Which means that this time around there are lots more places to find cute clothes. Granted, Winston isn't really a fashion Mecca, so I mostly shop online, but its nice that there are some inexpensive/cute options online at least. I bought a red dress from ASOS and some tanks & tees from Shade, both of which have free shipping.
Hot "must-have" baby items (which we do not have): BOB stroller, Ergo baby carrier, Petunia Picklebottom diaper bags.
Also hot right now: mustache themed baby-boy showers, chevron everything, cloth diapering (it was picking up speed when Grace was born, but now it is all the rage), newborn photoshoots.
Have I missed anything???
So... I am definitely not in the know about any of this! Mustache themed baby-boy showers? They don't really do baby showers here in Scotland, but a few of my friends feel bad about that, so it is looking like I may have a come-meet-baby-luncheon a month or so after the tiny one arrives. Maybe this will become the new rage! ;-)
ReplyDelete