Friday, March 8, 2013

The third time around.

It is March 8th, and we have officially completed one week of "morning" sickness. High fives all around!

I'm not sure what it is, but I feel better this time. Happier, I mean. I am definitely still sick as a dog (though this time I am fighting HARD not to throw up--it is much harder to not throw up) and I spend a lot of time laying down/being still, but... I don't know. Maybe it is a part of my whole-self transformation that has occurred over the last couple of years, but I just feel happier. In spite of how badly my body feels. I wonder if part of it is just the realness of this baby. I've done this twice before--the nausea, the exhaustion so deep it gives you chills--so now I have two beautiful little people to look at as proof of the worthiness of the cause. I snuggle on my Gracie girl and giggle with my silly Charlie and I am just so happy to be bringing another sweet soul into the world. I feel really lit up from the inside.

This pregnancy has been different on almost every count so far. With Charlie and Gracie I had cramping before and after the positive pregnancy test; with this one: nothing. With the first two morning sickness started at week six on the dot; this one was week five. Pregnancies one and two I couldn't eat any meat (or even stand the smell of it) but this time I have wanted it almost every day (but not chicken, which is funny since that is what we usually eat). I typically eat a cheddar bratwurst for lunch everyday (I know, so gross) and some sort of taco or pasta for dinner, with several bowls of cereal and bottles of Gatorade in between. I've found that Gatorade will fill in for food sometimes, so a sip or two of that can sometimes put off yet another "meal" of cheese and crackers or who knows what else. It does make my pee turn the color of Mountain Dew, though. Which is... distressing. At least I'm hydrated, right? I've also been able to eat "real" foods this time, not just Hot Pockets (gag!) and fast food. I'm really excited about that. I'm not eating fabulously, but I'm not eating terribly, either. It's a big step up from last time, even if it did hit me earlier.

I decided to try some actual remedies/medications for the nausea this time, but no dice. Zofran doesn't work. Vitamin B6 doesn't work. Not at all, as far as I can tell. :/ I cried about this (probably a couple of times), but I'm okay with it now. We've done it before. That's what I keep reminding myself. We've done this all before.

I feel worst when I first wake up (7-8am) and best from about 11am - 2pm. It starts going downhill after that, and I feel worse and worse until bedtime. Match Day festivities are from 11-2 next week, so if this trend keeps up, that will be perfect!

Tonight we're having some people (Jackson, Melissa, Leslie and Robert) from med school over for game night! Hopefully the adrenaline kicks in and I will perk up with company, but if not, at least we'll have a few people in the know.

I know this isn't all need-to-know info, but... It helps to write it. I came sooo close to telling my parents when I had them on the phone this afternoon. It is hard to keep such a big (nauseating) and exciting secret, especially when I'm feeling so yucky and trying to stay upbeat. The writing helps.

Teeny baby is now six weeks along, and the size of a sweet pea. :) Grow baby, grow! We love you already!

No comments:

Post a Comment