Some of it may have been brought on by a visit from baby Samuel, with whom Gracie immediately fell in love.
"He looks small," she said, when she saw me holding him on the couch yesterday afternoon. "I think I could hold him."
She settled in with her hand carefully, awkwardly cupped beneath his head (don't worry Christie--Steve and I were right by her on the couch!) and melted my heart as she taught him to count to twenty, and cooed at him and patted his tummy to soothe him whenever he cried. When we told her to go get her jammies on she very obediently complied, and then rushed back to reclaim her little buddy exclaiming, "The babysitter is back!"
The same evening as she was standing near me (her eyes at my belly level) she patted my stomach thoughtfully and said, "Your tummy looks kind of big."
You have no idea, kiddo. Just wait.
It must look worse when it is in your sight line, though. (Imagine my concerned housewife tone as I implore you to:) Look at me from the side--do I look different to you???
4 weeks (last week) photo, taken by Gracie in her sweet, messy bedroom. :)
Not really? Baby is only the size of an orange seed, so... :)
But that wasn't all she had to say on the matter. After preschool today Gracie got in the car, buckled herself into her carseat, and said, "Do you know what I'm going to dream about? I'm going to dream about alllllll the babies in your tummy!" She continued, explaining how all of her nap time and at bedtime all she was going to dream about were the babies in my tummy and what I should name them.
"What do you think its name will be?" I asked.
"I don't know! I didn't dream it yet," she said, matter-of-factly. "Do I LOOK like I'm sleeping right now?"
She didn't.
"Would you want a boy or a girl?" I tried.
"I want a girl, because I don't have a sister." Pause. "We need to get another carseat. And a van."
"Why do we need a van?" I asked.
"Because there needs to be three aisles: one for the mommy and daddy, one for the sis-- the... Big girl and the brother. And one for the baby."
And then she got out of the car and wanted to watch Word World with her teddy bear while I got her lunch ready.


No comments:
Post a Comment